Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A New Convention

I've taken 20 or so Summer Short Story entries home to read this weekend. A task I rather enjoy, but I do have an observation and a question. Eight out of the twenty entries what I'll describe as having internet paragraphing: so each new paragraph is a block of text rather than being indented.

Now the reason that text on a web-page such as this one is done in blocks is down to the way a web-page is constructed and the language (html) it is coded in, though this is changing with the advent of a language called CSS that can replicate print conventions.

A separate paragraph should denote a scene-break or a significant change but if they are used continually then the flow is interrupted and the writing can feel stilted.

So I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about why this new style of internet paragraphing is becoming so widely used in the real-world?

Gav.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gav, dear, that made you sound *most* grumpy.

-- Matt

Anonymous said...

Ah, sorry didn't mean to sound grumpy. Though in my defence is was late night Sunday when I wrote it (blogger would only allow it to be posted today).

I'm just curious that's all.