Friday, June 01, 2007

Not being famous.

We sent a sample of our anthologies to Gardners the bookselling/mediating type people the other week, and when I say a sample I actually mean all three of them. Nothing. They said on their website they'd get back within 48 hours. They did nothing of the sort. Our anthologies are beautiful, and I'm not saying that because I'm partial but because it's a kind of a universal truth type thing. But Gardners don't much want to know. Which is fine. Like we wanted to sell our books in the first place. Chuh.

The Hay Festival is on right now this very second. We are not going to the Hay Festival because we are not sufficiently famous. This is fine too. The Hay Festival is not terribly much about books these days. This is not in any sense a controversial statement. The drive, however, is very pretty, and I'm sorry we shan't be doing that this year.

I am currently alone in the office. I'm trying to write an introduction to Outbox and Other Poems. If one of you would like to do it for me in comments, that'd be grand. I don't know where the others are. I know where one of them is, so technically that's a fib. But I don't know where the other others are, and the central heating's on, and it's too warm. Otherwise, you know. Everything's fine.

One of us has a birthday tomorrow. It isn't me.

Sam.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be famous, I can feel it in my hair follicles! :-)

Jen

Chris said...

Anthologies don't sell, apparently.

Anonymous said...

Outbox aop introduction: "These poems are dead brilliant. The one by me is most brilliant, but the others are fine too and you should probably read them so as to get your money's worth. Kisses! - one of the contributors."

What? WHAT???

Anonymous said...

Don't be caught short

Looking for a short piece of escapism to cowbar into your busy life.

We have some great poems and stories from people just like you.